The farm house

The farm house

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

August Is A Shooting Star...

August is, the month for hay cutting, harvesting some crops, corn on the cob and meteor showers. This past week has been amazing for viewing this phenomenon. Many August nights in my youth I've spent gazing up into the sky, waiting, watching and marvelling at it all.

Now that I'm older, I can still say that the best way to view the shooting stars is from the hood of a car or truck. Although older is also heavier and now I don't dare scramble up onto the hood of any vehicle for fear that I may leave more than a footprint behind. Growing up, I would visit my Father's family in Saskatchewan. Open Fields are great viewing areas. The fields with their unobstructed views become auditoriums in the evening.

Whether viewing in the east or west, none of us were astronomers and could only identify the most popular constellations. It did not hamper the entertainment value.

August is also fair time locally. I do not frequent them but they do have a lot of the old fashion content that it should have. I don't go on rides, nor do I like country music so spending $20 to simply peruse the vegetables, jams etc is pretty steep. My boys usually go as it is a social thing for them. I am not helping with the horse show this year and it's nice to see some other folks becoming involved.

August is my planning month for things that I want to see taken care of before the colder weather arrives instead of being surprised by snow. It is a long way off but, theses things are out of our control...
much like the changing of the leaves that is occuring to a few of my maples. Beauty and sadness in one dose:it also leaves me in awe, much like the shooting stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment