Recently I've noticed a lot of traffic for the nesting boxes at the same time every day....Hens are funny- when the feel ready to lay, that becomes the main focus. The problem here is too many at once & hens going in 2 at a time resulting in some broken eggs. Since I am home to observe this, I provided the hens with alternate options but they don't seem to be falling for them. So, on Friday, hubby & I built some more boxes, using scrap wood from a job site. We are frugal as we must be and I'm sure the chickens don't mind how they look. It's all about functionality.
Hopefully, this will rectify the problem. I will be adding more hens to my flock after the auction on Apr. 28th in South Mountain. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the Spencerville sale- not happy about it, but that's life.
Shearing day at Shirley Browsky's farm has been moved to next weekend and I do believe my farrier is coming next Sat....my plans are getting shot lately. I will be searching for a lift to guild on Monday because I really would like to hear about the rare sheep breeds.
My new pattern for a sock is ready to be test knitted. I had the awkward moments of changing things every other row and settled on something that is not complicated but interesting to knit. 4 round repeat-super easy to follow. It is after all the beginning!My plan is to create kits of my own yarn(giggle) as I only have 2 sheep and not enough wool to process...But next year, my flock will have doubled if nothing else.So, the designing has begun. I am looking forward to creating more!1 month from now, the sheep will be shorn and approaching lambing! I have been cleaning out the barn and mwntally taking note of how to expand space. I have decided on creating a few more pens using skids-palletts.Economical and sturdy. I have discovered that with sheep, if you see a space where you think they may be able to get out, they will.