The farm house

The farm house

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Back to the Drawing Board

Yesterday I had started this blog entry and it disappeared while I was adjust the position of some photos- not impressed. So here we are again.

So, that enclosure I erected of electrified tape, 4 strands to be correct = epic failure. On Monday we decided to let the sheep out into the pen. The leader, the black ewe, went in and then made a spectacular leap between the top and 2nd strand! I stood in amazement, thinking now what? Holy crow, portable electric netting will be a must.Those of you with sheep will be saying , yeah saw that coming but I had to try because:  a) use it, b) be frugal. I am now rich in experience !

On Friday, fitting for thanksgiving weekend I made a new acquisition to Karberry Farm. No, not sheep, not yet....Turkeys!!! A breeding pair of Narragansetts! They are from this Spring's hatch. The Seller was going to be by the area so hubby picked them up in Kemptville. They are in the chicken tractor acclimatising to our yard. Soon, their pen will be ready...provided I have access to a vehicle that works... So hopefully in the Spring I will have poults- hubby approves of this and he is already hustling for sales next year.. The feathers are beautifully colored with patterns to boot! I am starting to see it as how I create my flocks- by color!

I also experimented with overdying some wool. Originally, they were dyed with plant material. So, I started with some of the paler stuff.
Not a great photo, but there is a variation in the colors. The outside of the cake is darker. When wound into skeins to dry, the colors are awesome. These are ideal for 1 hank projects. I will be handpainting something today...stay tuned.

I leave you with a photo of some of the roosters. If anyone would like one, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment