The farm house

The farm house

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mild weather...

Yesterday was a unusually mild day for January. My concern on such mild weather is with water infiltration. An old house such as mine does not have the same systems in place as newer construction would in order to stave off water seepage. This time I worried about the roof. I've already experienced water damming over my studio. In the Fall we re-attached the heating cable. However, after all the snow, I could not find the plug and then the water came in. It dripped in from 2 windows this time. A good thing was the couch in there being able to support the 4 buckets that I emptied frequently. Middle son was home and took the not-rickety ladder and pounded carefully on some ice to find the plug hidden in the eavestroughing. Hurray! No more dripping. Now for the second floor... nothing yet but there is much ice collecting in the eavestroughing.
There are 2 sump pumps in the basement. It is an old stone foundation and sometimes the water just comes up from the ground, nowhere near the sump- such is country living...

As for the sheep pen, no more indoor waterfall but there is some seepage. This time I will try the black spray on goop for leaks- that ought to do it! Maybe I will get hubby to do that. I already have a different colored coat thanks to the spray foam insulation...

The hens are laying again. Despite having a light on for them, productivity dropped drastically. Now things are on the upswing. I am now contemplating laying boxes for the turkeys. The Tom has wonderful displays in the morning. If the mild weather continues, they may think it's Spring and start laying... which also means I best purchase an incubator. What a great thing it is to watch something so mundane turn into something complex in very little time! Sadly- I can't seem to upload any photos today...? Wonder what's up with that?

So, I guess I am already getting ready for Spring. After sprucing up my resume, I will take a look at how I will redesign my vegetable garden and then some knitting. What could be better?!

No comments:

Post a Comment