The farm house

The farm house

Sunday, December 1, 2013

December First

December has finally arrived!! As much as I am not looking forward to the holiday season, November had me pinned to the mat. I've been ill and many of my plans have fallen apart and I must think up new ways to achieve my goals.

A good thing that will happen shortly is the arrival of my roving and wool. Many dollars later...more than I thought...I will need to calculate if I can even cover the expense of sending processing and having it mailed back. A prime reason why it's important to support your small producers, not just at Christmas but year round.

It has finally warmed up and it is snowing again ever so lightly. After posting, I need to drag the hose from the basement window and fill the horses' trough and the sheep buckets. I may as well do it while it's warmer! Lugging water the past few days has been a royal pain in the ---. Heated buckets could eliminate some of the issue but there is not enough power to the barn and with Hydro costing what it does, well I refuse to give them another penny of my hard earned money.

So the countdown has started. I must finish the gift knitting as in knit the 2nd sock and mitts to make pairs! Shawls and scarves need to be blocked and that will be that!

A couple of Sundays ago, I learned to make Artisan bread. A bit different from your traditional white loaves. I will be baking some today. While driving there, www.heritageharvestfarm.ca I really was amazed at how many little villages are still occupied. What I mean is, it's more difficult even with all the technology to live in these small places as we must really on vehicles and fuel to get around usually for employment and services that are no longer available in the small centers. Many places don't have a shuttle service etc.....I still enjoyed the sights of mature trees, old architecture and amazing churches with ancient grave markers.

Here are a few photos of the big snowfall- you would think the world can only be seen in black and white!

No comments:

Post a Comment