The farm house

The farm house

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Aching For Acres

I suffer from an interminable case of acre envy. I am limited with just under 5 acres of property wherein my house and 2 outbuildings are located. Also, the in-ground pool which I do call the "cement pond" as there was once a turtle swimming in there, occupies some prime real estate. This leaves me pondering if I should sell off the horses? Lease some land from the neighbours? Buy land from neighbours? Sell my house and move to more acres? Because, I would like to farm bigger.

That being said, I believe that there is a market for my lovely wool and would like to expand. However, 5 acres makes rotational grazing very important and must be adhered to in order to get the maximum use of every little piece of land. My sheep currently reside in the barn as my fencing is not secure and there is no pasture-all snow. Another expense for the spring... I currently have 9 ewes. If they were bred this Fall, imagine the population boom! Now, imagine feeding them all. I don't have the capability to produce my own hay...If the sheep could graze on pasture, it's less expensive.

So, the most likely is sell the horses. Which, takes time, which is tricky because one is my son's and because I am emotionally attached to the hay burners. If I moved, I want this house on more acres. Perhaps I should just ask the neighbours when they plan to retire, how much they want for the piece of land next to my house...and then watch me pull a rabbit out of my a_ _se, because that's what it's going to take to make it happen. Kind of like what I did in order to get this house. So, yes, anything is possible if you are determined enough to follow through.

By the way, in a fit of desperation, last week I applied to Tim Horton's. Oh, yes, I did. And guess what, they haven't called for an interview either. If I did not have such evidence to back it up, I would come to the conclusion that I was meant to be my own boss, my own farming boss... Ponder that!

No comments:

Post a Comment